Opto 22 Introduces Groov EPIC Edge Programmable Controller
Gary Parr | March 7, 2018
Opto 22, Temecula, CA, is helping automation engineers and developers solve challenging automation and industrial internet of things (IIoT) problems with the introduction of its groov EPIC edge programmable industrial controller system. The system will be available in May 2018.
Combining reimagined intelligent I/O with an embedded Linux real-time controller, gateway functions, and an integrated display, groov EPIC offers field-proven industrial hardware design with a modern software ensemble. “The groov EPIC system incorporates in one unit everything needed to connect and control field and operational devices and data, through on-premises IT databases, spreadsheets and other software, to cloud storage and services—and back again,” stated Benson Hougland, Opto 22 vice president of Marketing & Product Strategy. The groov EPIC system will be of particular interest for process control, machine control, OEM, manufacturing, SCADA/RTU, building and facilities, and IIoT applications.
System features include:
• Industrial modular intelligent I/O, real-time Linux-based automation controller, and edge gateway in a single stainless-steel chassis
• UL Hazardous Locations approved and ATEX compliant
• Integrated high-resolution color touchscreen with HDMI output for optional external monitor
• Compact footprint with integrated power supply and dead-front design
• On-board system configuration, commissioning, and troubleshooting; no PC required
• Remote configuration and troubleshooting from any web browser on any device
• Dual, independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces
• Dual USB ports for serial communications, touchscreen monitors, or WiFi adapters
• Multiple power-supply options including AC, DC, and pass-through
• Wide -20 to 70 C operating temperature range.
Software features include:
• groov Manage software for tool-less configuration, commissioning, and debugging on-board and from anywhere on the network
• PAC Control flowchart-based control development environment with scripting and visual debugger
• groov View visualization server for creating and viewing HMIs, trends, and events for anymobile device or web browser; also viewable locally on integral touchscreen
• Node-RED flow-based development environment and runtime for edge data processing, handling, and communications
• Ignition Edge from Inductive Automation with drivers to Allen-Bradley, Siemens, and more.